Surrendering a Cocker Spaniel
We realize that life does not always follow the path we laid out and that sometimes we have to give up our beloved pets due to unemployment, health issues, housing challenges, family and money problems. We understand your dilemma and are glad you trust us to help you! We would not place a dog in neither a foster home nor a permanent home where we were not comfortable placing one of our own dogs.
Before you surrender your Cocker Spaniel, you might want to consider a few of the following options:
If you are considering rehoming your cocker spaniel for behavioral reasons, check out our Training Questions and Answers page or consider contacting our animal behavior counselor at Dog ‘n Cat Behavior Solutions.
If you are surrendering your Cocker Spaniel because you have to move into an apartment and you are looking for a unit that is pet-friendly, you might want to check MyApartmentMap before you decide to surrender your furry kid.
If you are surrendering your Cocker Spaniel, or any pet, due to emergency medical costs, please contact Ginger’s Legacy to see if they can be of assistance. Their foundation provides pet owners with financial assistance with unanticipated medical or surgical costs for their pet when a financial need has been determined. Ginger’s Legacy typically serves Elbert and Douglas counties, so if they can’t help, RMCR will be happy to help you look for other options.
Here is the process for owner relinquishment of your Cocker Spaniel:
1. Complete an Owner Relinquishment form (download below) and return it to us, preferably via e-mail to Inquiries@RockyMountainCockerRescue.org. If possible, please send us a few pictures of your dog along with your completed form.
2. Once we review the completed Owner Relinquishment form, we will call you and may set an appointment to visit the dog to do a behavior evaluation if we feel it’s necessary. You will need to provide us with complete veterinary records and inform us of any behavioral or medical issues before we decide whether or not we can accept the dog into the rescue.
3. If the dog is behaviorally and medically sound, we ask for some pictures of the dog for the websites, have you sign the owner relinquishment form and give us the veterinary records. Please be prepared to provide four to five close up photographs that present your dog at his or her best. Try to avoid taking photos looking down on the dog, but rather from their level so that potential adopters will be able to see their best features.
4. If you can possibly keep the dog in your home until we find a new permanent home for the dog, it will increase the chances of the dog being accepted into the rescue since foster homes are always scarce.
5. If you cannot keep the dog even one more day, we will place the dog in a foster home and treat him or her like a beloved family member until we can process adoption applications from interested parties and find a new home. We will do a home check, interview them, and conduct reference and veterinarian checks before we determine which dog best fits their lifestyle and personalities.
6. There is no surrender fee for you to relinquish your dog to us. All we ask is your complete disclosure of the dog’s personality, behavior and medical information so that we can determine the best environment for your dog moving forward. Please understand that, once you sign your dog over to Rocky Mountain Cocker Rescue, you relinquish all ownership rights and claims to that dog.
7. Although there is no surrender fee, we do ask your assistance, if possible, in making sure your dog is up to date on vaccinations and is spayed or neutered. Our organization survives on adoption fees and the occasional donation and fees to veterinary clinics is a big expense for us. We understand if you are surrendering your dog due to financial hardship, but if you can make sure your dogs is up to date, we would certainly appreciate it.
RMCR Owner Relinquishment Application (Fill out and submit online) – Please consider using this option! The information is deposited in a database that is accessible to multiple people within our organization.
RMCR Owner Relinquishment Application (PDF) (Print and Send)
RMCR Owner Relinquishment Application (DOC) (Complete and Email)