Our mission is to:
- rescue abandoned, stray and neglected Cocker Spaniels in Colorado and neighboring states,
- place those rescued in pre-approved foster/volunteer homes all along the Rocky Mountains,
- rehabilitate those who have been abused or neglected,
- evaluate the dog’s behavior to better understand what it needs to thrive and succeed,
- rehome the dog into a permanent pre-qualified loving home, and
- assist owners in finding new homes as an alternative to placing their cocker in a shelter.
We carefully screen all potential adopters to ensure our rescued dogs go to a safe forever home. The adoption process starts with the completion of an adoption application, which follows with a phone interview, checking your references and a home check. Once an applicant is approved, we match them with a dog that meets their preferences, based on personalities and life style for a made-to-last relationship and close bond with their new friend. We are a 501(c)(3) charitable, nonprofit organization. We serve all of Colorado and New Mexico with foster homes also in Wyoming, Kansas, and Missouri.
The Pet Animal Care Facilities Act (PACFA) Program is dedicated to protecting the health and well-being of animals in pet care. We are the only PACFA-licensed Cocker Spaniel rescue in Colorado!
Our directors and volunteers rescue Cocker Spaniels in need when they face euthanasia or from owners who cannot care for their pets anymore, as well as neglect or abandonment situations. Rescued dogs are placed in a foster home of prescreened volunteers until a suitable forever home is found. Before the dogs are available for adoption, they are spayed or neutered and seen by a veterinarian for a health exam to identify and treat any health care issues, and any necessary vaccinations are administered. Our dogs also undergo a behavior evaluation to help us determine what type of permanent home environment would allow them to thrive and succeed.
RMCR Board Members
Audra J. Bowen, President
Andrea Behr, Interim Vice President/Volunteer Director
Laurie Hayward, Treasurer
Barb Olivarez, Interim Secretary
Linda Parker, Intake Director
Suzette Compton, Foster Director
Carolyn Pittman, Placement Director